What is the cost of a fishing charter with Bluesails Sportfishing?
Charters are priced at SGD790 on a per boat, per day basis for a full-day charter from 730am to 530pm (10 hrs - dock to dock) for up to 4 people, excluding crew. There is an option for a 3/4 day charter (8 hrs) as well priced at SGD600. There will be a surcharge per boat, per day during the summer months (May to Aug) when longer runs out offshore to Tioman waters are required. During these months we recommend using Pulau Tioman as a base for offshore trolling & fishing the numerous FADs, as this option provides great value for money as well as diverse fishing and an incredible island experience.
The price of the fishing charter includes some snacks, fizzy drinks, bottled water, complimentary case of beer, usage of well-maintained quality Shimano & Penn fishing gear & the services of a professional fishing crew / skipper. Price does not include personal expenses, gratuities, or loss/damage to the rod & reels.
Kindly note that there is a surcharge for the 5th & 6th person (max) onboard at SGD50 per person per day. We operate 39ft by 9ft locally designed fibreglass sport fishing boats equipped with new twin 4-stroke outboards with minimum 150hp - 200hp. We welcome single angler or fishos looking for a cost sharing charter as well.
Note: The full-day fishing charter rate at SGD790 per boat, per day is for Kuala Rompin. Please go to our Bluesails Tioman website for details. For multi-day fishing charters beyond the usual 2 full-day charter, kindly contact us for further details. Customised fishing packages available on requests.
Does Bluesails Sportfishing provide transport to and from Kuala Rompin?
The fishing charter rate does not include transport. You're expected to make your own way to Kuala Rompin, or arrange your own transport charter. We would be happy to recommend a private MPV transport company charter service to be engaged at your own expense. A standard round trip from S'pore to Kuala Rompin in a comfortable 10 seater MPV is priced at approximately S$500. The distance is about 220km one-way & is approximately a 3 hour drive depending on traffic conditions. There is usually a single pick-up & drop-off point in S'pore with timing arranged at your own discretion from destinations including the airport & hotels.
Bluesails Sportfishing operates strictly as a fishing charter & ground transfers can be arranged at the resort for a short drive to the boat jetty where our crew will meet up with you for the day’s fishing.
What about accommodation?
Accommodation is also not included in the fishing charter rate. We would be happy to recommend resorts, or you’re welcome to arrange accommodation of your own choosing, at your own expense. One night’s resort or hotel stay in Kuala Rompin or Tioman Island would usually cost about RM130-RM250 (Malaysian ringgit) per room on a twin-sharing basis. In general, room & board are very inexpensive.
Another option is to book a fishing charter based in Pulau Tioman, voted as one of the top ten most beautiful islands in the world. For more information, please visit our Pulau Tioman page.
Does Bluesails Sportfishing cater to families with children?
Families with kids who have prior experience on a boat are not a problem & novice / seasoned anglers, ladies included, are similarly all welcome on board. Our Bluesails crew has many years of experience assisting anglers of all ages, with the youngest participant on board to date being only 5yrs old and the eldest being 85yrs young! Customised trips are available for couples as well, please visit our Bluesails Tioman website.
Why use Bluesails Sportfishing professional charters?
Hiring a professional fishing charter like Bluesails Sportfishing with more than 15 years of experience operating out from Kuala Rompin is a good way to save time & hassle, & you can gain an insight into our years of specialised knowledge, such as the different fishing conditions and techniques, boat positioning & handling, lure & bait selection, and our experience in locating the bites. You will be in good, capable & safe hands with host & IGFA Captain Mike Tan upon your arrival at destination.
Your professional skipper, other than bringing you to the right fishing spots also acts as a personal coach, & his expertise will assist those anglers who are good listeners & open-minded to keep a tight line & maintain maximum pressure to prevent costly errors. This applies especially to larger billfish above the 40kg range. Any good team needs a good coach, & coaching the angler is part of the skipper's job.
A good skipper & crew must also practice due diligence with regards to safety onboard as Sails are extremely tenacious, & being the smaller species of the Billfish family are likely to pose more danger than larger Billfish as they’re faster & more agile. Your experienced crew helps to ensure safety first in all fishing & weather conditions. In addition, Capt. Mike will be more than happy to play host to our fishing guests in the evenings.
What are a few common mistakes made by novice anglers?
Common errors made by eager-to-score anglers are not keeping a tight line throughout the duration of the fight, not following the fish, & trying to haul in a fish with brute strength without any regard to form & technique in the belief that they’re gaining back line.
Avoid the common mistake of lowering the rod before you begin reeling. You should crank the reel as you bring the rod tip down to maintain a tight controlled line.
Fishing is an art & science, so a dose of finesse & the proper fish-fighting techniques are required without the need for over-exertion. Enjoy the fight with good form & technique.
Will I be able to set my own hook and use my own gear?
The crew will endeavour to assist you regardless of whether you’re a novice or a seasoned angler. Bluesails crew are conservation-minded, highly experienced & very enthusiastic about fishing. We encourage our clients to hook their own fish & then release their catch safely, & invite them to be as hands-on as they like. Turning hook-sets to hook-ups is the job of the professional skipper & crew, so please let us know in advance if you want to do your own hook-set that may or may not result in a hook-up. Generally, it would be good to experiment with your own hook-set only after you’ve boated at least one Sailfish for a quick photo & release.
A good crew know when to back-off or increase the drag manipulation. It’s best left to the crew, unless you’re using your own gear & are familiar with the drag settings.
How does having a professional crew help ensure a successful fishing trip?
Bluesails Sportfishing crew are committed, focused, honest, & reliable. We have an excellent boat safety record since our inception in 2003 & take the health & safety of our customers on board extremely seriously. Bluesails crew work hard to get the bites, believe in a pro-active approach to fishing, are constantly ready to move & are always looking out for signs of bird & fish activity. Hence, sight-casting with spinning gear to tailers with livies or lures is not uncommon. Constantly, making the call to move or switch locations in search of the bites is the order of the day. The crew are always looking out for Sails finning, tailing or ‘sleepers’, not simply letting out bait at a known ‘bus-stop’ & hoping for a strike, or getting the odd Sail visiting a known FAD set up by local commercial fishermen. We feel that getting the odd 1 or 2 Sails at these FADs does not justify the true Sailfishing potential of these waters, but most local charters resist the urge to go the extra mile. Switchbaiting with teasers to conventional or fly gear is our preferred technique.
What fishing gear does Bluesails Sportfishing use?
Bluesails fishing gear comprises mainly conventional light to medium tackle Shimano reels such as Tyrnos 20s, 30s & TLD15s, 20s, 25s & 30As 2-speed, combined with 10, 15, 24kg Shimano backbone & Penn International II game fishing rods spooled with 30- 50lb class lines. AFTCO gimbals & harnesses are provided for stand-up fishing. Various models of Shimano & Penn spinning reels combined with other Shimano / Penn rods & gear are used for bait-fishing, bottom, jigging & lure fishing. If you would like to chase Billfish on light tackle, we have Penn Spinfisher V series reels combined with the Shimano Jigwrex spin rod series.
Bluesails crew are about taking fanatical care of the gear and tackle, & will ensure that drags function smoothly, roller guides or rings turn or run freely, & reels are spooled with new or undamaged line, so that we don’t lose a fish with a hook & a hundred yards of line trailing behind it. Strictly non-offset circle hooks will be readily deployed to ensure positive hook-ups. Shimano Saragosa & Daiwa Saltiga reels included as well.
When is the billfish season in Kuala Rompin?
The Billfishing season in Kuala Rompin starts in mid-March each year after the end of the NE Monsoon & runs through mid-November.
Sails & juvenile Black Marlin can be targeted in Rompin & Tioman waters, making this a truly unique Billfishing destination. Larger Sails can be found in Tioman waters with larger Black Marlin targeted towards Pualu Dayang/Aur until end-October each year.
There is no Sailfish season in these waters per se as with most other Billfishing destinations in the world, but there are definite advantages appllicable for different months of the season. Sailfishing is quite consistent all the way through the season but mid-March through late April, & August through mid-Nov, have become recognised as the peak periods to find Sails bait-balling on the surface during the bi-annual anchovy runs, & this can / may lead to multiple releases.
However, you can still have days when the Sails have 'gorged' themselves with anchovies & hence are no longer in feed mode. In addition, with the right conditions, May or July can make for double-digit shots & multiple releases along with calmer seas during this period making surface feeding Sails much easier to spot for sight-casting action. June is typically recognised as a slow period for fishing.
What are the boat specifications?
Bluesails Sportfishing operates 39ft by 9ft fibreglass speedboats equipped with new twin 200hp 4 stroke Yamaha outboard motors. Enquire about our brand new custom-made game boat for 2019 season !
All boats have standard safety equipment onboard such as life-jackets, life-bouys & first-aid boxes. They are also equipped with the latest GPS, fish-finders, binoculars, bait wells, large cooler boxes with ice, as well as enclosed toilet facilities. The boats are clean, fast, safe, spacious, and have plenty of shade. They seat 4 - 6 comfortably depending on boat specs excluding crew (official licensed seating capacity is 6 - 8 people max).
Boats are well maintained, comfortable & conducive, and being smaller are ideal for Billfishing as they offer maneuverability & speed to point the angler in the direction of the fish and give you close personal interaction with the fish at boat-side
What is the difference between Bluesails Sportfishing and other fishing charters/guides operating in Kuala Rompin?
1. Bluesails Sportfishing is a professional fishing charter that captains and directs the boats ourselves whereas most fishing guides and tour agents on the internet offering mass-produced fishing packages, have a low level of service with basic expertise & local knowledge. It may come as a surprise to keen fishos to learn that many guides who claim they have been fishing for years in Kuala Rompin are in fact still totally dependent on local skippers for results and have no idea about the locations or bearings to all the prime fishing spots found in these waters.
2. Bluesails Sportfishing uses quality Shimano & Penn fishing gear & accessories free of charge (ie: no rental charges) and our crew have specialised knowledge about the correct gear used/needed to fight the fish. Fishing charter rates & details are indicated clearly on our website, and we do not practice arbitrary pricing.
3. Bluesails Sportfishing has an absolute commitment to proper revival, resuscitation & strict release policy for all Billfish. We encourage angler participation in fish conservation by sharing knowledge about how to properly revive & release Sails. We cater to anglers keen on underwater video & photo shots of feeding Sails, and when appropriate provide snorkel & mask, and ensure good boat positioning in anticipation of moving packs of feeding Sails. We take great pride in operating the most conducive, comfortable, fun, exciting & efficiently-run charter in Kuala Rompin. Priority is always for our guests to have a good time onboard.
4. We have a professional, dedicated, highly experienced & versatile fishing crew, who are focused, hardworking & adaptive to changing fishing conditions, and are able to implement flexibilty in fishing styles & boat handling when fighting billfish. Switchbaiting is the main technique deployed by Capt. Mike Tan.
5. Bluesails IGFA Captain Mike Tan has a certified MPA (Maritime & Port Authority of S'pore) Power Boating license (No.78480) since 2002 and PADI diver certifications. You therefore have 2 certified skippers onboard at any given time. We feel there is a big difference between a certified boat captain & a local boatman (ie: w/o a license or certification).
6. Bluesails crew have international & local billfishing knowledge, expertise & safety standards for optimum results. We’re in Rompin almost every week during the season, and are therefore kept up to date with local fishing conditions. We are of the opinion that the majority of charter operators or agents are merely tour guides (self-proclaimed fishing guides) & are totally dependent on local skippers for results.
7. We cater to all types of fishing styles and techniques such as trolling with teasers, various proven lures, deadbait & livebait. Also, sight-casting with surface lures, live-baiting, & bottom fishing. Tease & switch are the preferred technique with proven fly-lures for Sails catering to fly-fishos in particular. We believe that any professional charter should be able to accommodate various fishing styles, hence we customise each charter according to our clients individual preferences, skill level or experience. Please enquire more on the great sight-casting & fly-fishing opportunities available in Rompin.
8. Another crucial difference is that billfish close to port are constantly pressured by the local fleet / charters & are sometimes difficult to bait even when found in numbers. Other charters are often not willing to go further afield for the Sails, but Bluesails Sportfishing will go the extra miles to maximise your chances. Therefore, you can feel confident that we will provide you with the ultimate fishing experience. We believe that there's a big difference between merely fishing for Sails (as with most charters and guides) & actually catching them.
9. Bluesails Sportfishing enjoys targeting juve Black Marlins as well & holds one of 2 known records for the largest juve Black Marlin released (abt 150lbs) caught in Rompin waters. Juve Black marlin in these waters are usually below the 20kg range. Larger specimens from 50 to 150kg can be targeted in Tioman / Dayang waters.
10. Currently, we have the most comfortable, well-shaded / spacious 39ft by 9ft boat amongst the local fleet of boats, acquired March 2019. Boats & gear are well maintained & constantly upgraded.
What is Bluesails Sportfishing's catch & release policy?
STRICT CATCH & RELEASE OF ALL BILLFISH
BOATSIDE PHOTOS AND IN-WATER RELEASE OF ALL BILLFISH ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO MINIMISE STRESS AND DAMAGE TO THE FISH
RELEASE OF ALL BAITFISH & TABLE-FISH AT SOLE DISCRETION OF CREW
CATCH YOUR LIMIT & LIMIT YOUR CATCH FOR ALL PRIZED MACKEREL & DORADO, AGAIN AT SOLE DISCRETION OF CREW
FOR SALTWATER FLY GEAR ANGLERS, MIN 12 WT FLY RODS TO REDUCE FIGHT TIME & STRESS ON THE SAILS
TIME TAKEN TO REVIVE A BILLFISH WILL BE AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF CREW
ANGLERS TO PROVIDE AMPLE SUPPORT FOR BOATED BILLFISH TO AVOID SKELETAL DAMAGE
BILLFISH TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT AND LIKE “LOADED GUNS”. BILL-CHAFED AND STABBED HANDS, AND BILL-WHACKED ARMS AND FACES ARE ALL ACCIDENTS THAT CAN OCCUR IF YOU’RE NOT FOCUSED. BE WARY OF SUDDEN WILD JUMPS AT BOATSIDE.
NOT ALL BILLFISH WILL BE BOATED FOR PICS. FISH DEEMED UNFIT FROM FACTORS SUCH AS BLEEDING OR AFTER A LENGTHY FIGHT WILL BE HELD IN THE WATER BOATSIDE FOR PICS TO ENSURE A HEALTHY RELEASE. AGAIN THIS IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF CREW
When is the best time to book?
Weekends during an ongoing season are always very popular & are readily open for advance bookings, while weekdays (Mondays through Thursdays) should not be a problem. The weekend slots of March, April & May are traditionally popular right after the end of the monsoon season with anglers eager to get back into the action. This is also true for the months of August, September & October just before the monsoon. As there are only about 35 weekends in a typical season, we recommend booking weekend slots at least a few months in advance. June is typically recognised by most as a slow period for fishing.
How do I secure a booking?
A 50% deposit is required within 5 days or the stipulated time frame specified in the invoice to confirm a booking, & full payment (remaining 50%) will be required a week before the trip. Tentative bookings & inquiries are welcome, but a secured slot or dates will only be provided on a first come, first deposit paid basis & can or may take precedence over any pending deposit payment of invoice issued to any party for that particular date or period.
We accept credit card payments online via Paypal, and Bank Transfers (local or overseas) are preferred. Please note a 4% fee of the total amount will be applicable for online payments via Paypal.
If a trip is booked with less than 48hrs notice, full payment is required.
What is your cancellation/refund policy?
There will be no refund of the 50% deposit paid if cancellation notice is given less than 30 days before the scheduled charter. For cancellation notice given more than 30 days before the scheduled charter, the 50% deposit is refundable, but subject to a 10% admin fee of the full charter amount. For any amendment or postponement of confirmed charter dates, a 10% admin fee will be applicable to the full charter rate for the total number of days booked. In the event, no dates are available or found suitable or mutually agreeable for both parties within the current season or year - a refund will be made subject to again a 10% admin fee - if notice is given more than 30 days.
Please note that full payment including any admin fee (if any) for confirmed fishing trips have to be completed a week prior or before the fishing charter can proceed or commence.
There will be no carrying forward of payments made to the next season or any following seasons for any confirmed bookings.
In the event the fishing charter has commenced but is unable to be completed due to unforeseen mechanical failure or weather conditions outside the control of Bluesails Sportfishing, then the charter fee paid to Bluesails Sportfishing will be refunded on a pro-rated, hourly basis.
Prior to the commencement of the fishing charter, please note it is up to the discretion of our local captain as to whether weather conditions are considered safe. If deemed safe, the charter will proceed and bookings will be honoured. In the unlikely event that conditions are deemed unsafe then the charter will be rescheduled or rebooked to another date subject to availability. Again, there will be no refunds, but the charter is transferable to another date in the same season subject to availability & no admin fee will be levied.
Travel insurance is recommended in the event of a family emergency, act of God, adverse weather conditions, any other unforeseen situation or for any involuntary cancellation including airfare(s).
In addition, Bluesails Sportfishing Charters does not accept any liability for any accident or injury incurred by a client whilst on board the vessel engaged in fishing, in transit or any activities caused by the actions of another passenger or crew member, howsoever occurring.
Our captain & crew endeavour to make all trips fun, exciting & safe for all onboard. Hence, standard release of liability & indemnity forms will be applicable. Note that we have an excellent boat safety record since our inception in 2003 & take the health & safety of our customers on board extremely seriously.
While its not always possible to guarantee that Capt. Mike will accompany all fishing trips, you can rely on him to supervise the crew to best suit your fishing preferences; in particular if more than one boat charter is booked for the trip or period. A substitution of Captain does not happen often, but we do reserve the right to make crew & / or vessel substitutions when necessary.
All use of tackle & gear is on a replace if lost or damaged basis.
Gratuities are not included in the price of the charter service or customary here in Kuala Rompin but our crew always appreciates the recognition of a job well done.
BY BOOKING OUR CHARTER YOU AGREE TO THE ABOVE TERMS, CONDITIONS &/OR POLICY.
Bluesails Sportfishing operates fishing charters at Kuala Rompin and Pulau Tioman, Malaysia and other destinations including Kona Hawaii & the Maldives. © 2015 BLUESAILS SPORTFISHING est. 2003. All rights reserved.